Tuesday, February 12, 2008

What's in a name?


So, Gabe and I don't want to officially select a name before we meet our little guy, but we know we need to have a couple favorites from which to choose. Here are the front-runners, in order. Take our poll when you are done perusing.

1. Lincoln
Yes, as in Abe (As Granddad asked earlier today). I actually just came up with this one last night, but we really like it right now. First of all, who doesn't like Abraham Lincoln, right? A great guy. Tall. Thin. Large Ears. Although only one of those three physical traits is common in our family. Aubree is convinced that she will ALWAYS think of President Lincoln when she hears her nephews name if we name him that. Also, she thinks he (our son) will think of Abe when he writes his name on his school papers. Although it is true that Gabe always thought of the Angel Gabriel announcing Christ's coming birth to Mary when he did his homework, I think this argument might be flawed. We like "Link" for a nickname, probably because we both enjoy Encino Man.

2. Max
We really really like this name. Christina Aguilera (I don't know if that is how you spell her last name) named her son Max, which kind of sucks, but we still like it. This would be particularly cute if our son wore glasses, which is likely. I think a one syllable name might be nice because our last name is kind of long. The downside of Max is that Gabe's dad has a dog named Max. This is a somewhat serious drawback. You might think it would eliminate the name from our list, but like I mentioned, we really like it.

3. Mason
This has been my favorite name forever. I still like it, and Gabe likes it too. Interestingly, Gabe once had a dog named Mason. (Are we secretly hoping for a dog rather than a son?) I'm big on nicknames, and I like "Mace." My friend Liz has a son named Mason, but she gave me her blessing, so I think that's ok.

4. Greyson
I really really like this name, but Gabe does not like it at all. There is really no chance that our son will be named Grey, but I still really like it so it's going on the list.

5. Theodore
This is a family name. Great great great great grandpa Theodore Turley did all of the early church history stuff (Nauvoo, mission to England with the apostles, crossing the plains, etc.), and we think he is a pretty good namesake. This name relies heavily on nicknames. I kind of like Theo, while Gabe privileges Ted as in Ted Williams of the Boston Red Sox.

We also like Isaac, Chase, and Nathaniel. Those are probably the big ones. Anyway, what do you all think? Any suggestions? Comments? Votes? Take my poll!

12 comments:

Caroline Tung Richmond said...

I love the name Greyson! But Justin doesn't like it either. Hmmmm...do guys have something against this name?

I chose Mason for your poll because I know you've loved this name for so long and I really like it too!

The missionary who baptized me was named Lincoln so I always think of him whenever I hear this name. A lot of his friends called him Linc though, which makes me think of The Legend of Zelda.

Maybe Mason Theodore?

Anonymous said...

Link=Zac Efron's character in Hairspray.

I also voted for Mason, although I LOVE the idea of a cute little Max with glasses! I also love Greyson, but didn't want to waste my vote.

Kristen said...

I don't what this says about me (or Lisa :) but I also thought of Zac Efron when you mentioned "Link." Perhaps we should watch this move together during our girls weekend. Or--even better--High School Musical 2.

I prefer Theodore and "Ted" over the others because it's classic and unexpected. I also love Max, although with Xtina naming her son that you'll have lots of little Maxs (Maxes?) running around in a few years...

Alexis said...

I have noticed that men seem to dislike Greyson while women really like it. Hmm. Gabe argues that if we call him "Grey" he will get called "Gay." Perhaps that is why.

Mom said...

My very favorite is Greyson... I just think Grey is so strong. And so far no worries about celebs using the name.

But, knowing Gabe and how he feels, and like Lisa, not wanting to waste my vote, I chose Max.

A little Max with glasses is just too cute for words. Forget the dog... he will never wear cute little glasses or call me Grandma.

editorgirl said...

I love Max. And your son could decidedly pull it off.

Lincoln would create a little law firm running through the playground. ;)

Michelle said...

I randomly found your blog through the world of facebook/blogging and I am so excited that you are pregnant! I am as well...there is definitely something in the water! Congrats on your little one!! :)

Also, I voted for Mason, I think that is a cute name!

Unknown said...

Alexis! I found you from Shana's blog!
I like mason & Greyson. I wanted to name our last little boy Gage, but Nate thought he would be called 'Gay'- same thought process your husband I'm sure.

Anna B said...

Alexis!! Great names. I voted for Mason, but I also really like Lincoln. I confess, I don't love Greyson. It reminds me of Maniac Magee. Did you ever read that book in fifth grade or whatever? I can't wait to see pics of this gorgeous kid!

Anna B said...

ps. just reading through your blogs and totally identify with loving mystery novels. check this one out: jasper fforde's the eyre affair. totally hilarious and clever. (and yes, fforde is spelled with 2 "f"s)

Shewi128 said...

I vote for Chase or Isaac. I love the name Mason, but two M names is a bit much for a baby. :)

I hope you're doing well otherwise! Can't wait to see baby pictures..

Rob, Adrienne, Sam, Ada and Tony said...

Max is so cute! It came in 2nd to Sam though, but if you guys don't choose it maybe someday I will. Good luck with everything. You both will be great parens