Monday, November 16, 2009

Water, Farmer's Markets, and Other Things We Need in Vegas

After a pretty crazy month of packing, moving, unpacking, working, working, and working, Gabe and I decided to get away for a weekend. My mom and sisters are lovely and agreed to watch Theo (Uncle Theo, as Alyson calls him) for a few days. We flew out to San Francisco and enjoyed riding a lot public transportation and eating a lot of food. Mmm.


We stayed at the Palace Hotel, which was first built in 1875 (I am pretty sure on that date). It burnt down after the 1906 earthquake and was rebuilt in 1909. They were celebrating the 100 year anniversary of the rebuild, so we got to go on a fun tour of the hotel and learn about some of the history of the building. Here is a picture of the beautiful Garden Court:

It was a nice place to stay, although the old walls do not keep out the noise as well as they might. We booked it through Priceline so it was a great deal and a fun surprise. We are big fans of Priceline.


On Saturday morning we went down to the Ferry building where they have a Farmer's Market a couple of days a week. We ate the most delicious foods. Like butternut squash french toast with carmelized pears and cinnamon whipped cream. Yum.


My favorite may have been the Pineapple-Celery juice. See how happy I am? This stuff is good. I guess I need a juicer now.

Sunday morning we made our slow way to the Golden Gate Ward, which was nice. The public transportation system in San Fran is really good stuff, and you can get a three day pass for 18 bucks. We definitely got our money's worth. I had never been to Alcatraz before. It is such an interesting place. The audio tour they have is really well done. Anyway. Here's the obligatory behind-the-bars photo:


It was good to come home to our baby and our house and our desert, but I wouldn't mind a beautiful bay or fabulous farmer's market being set up around the corner. Oh well. Guess we'll just have to visit again.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

looks like a great trip! Glad you guys got the chance to get away.

Shannon said...

I just love San Francisco! It's such a fun place to visit. I haven't been to Alcatraz in years. Maybe next visit. Also, pineapple-celery juice? Interesting. I'd be willing to try it. I am sorry we missed seeing you in Vegas too. It's the only reason I would have wanted to stay the second night, but we had a great time in CA. Are you planning any winter-time forays out to UT??? If so, give me a call!

Kristen said...

How fun! Good for you for getting away!

Rob, Adrienne, Sam, Ada and Tony said...

Looks like a very fun excursion! I need to do a spontaneous trip like that. You know what is sad. I've never been to Alcatraz either. Born and raised here. Whoops.