Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Lexi's Boy Child



This past Friday was the midterm ultrasound, which means we got our first look between baby's legs. Gabe was excited for the ultrasound because, as he put it, "we got a pronoun." Neither of us much liked "it," and he was sick of hearing me say "he or she" twenty times a day. I could tell our baby would be peeing standing up before the technician even pointed out the telltale bump on the screen, but it's still sinking in.

Gabe is thrilled and has already purchased some Red Sox gear for the poor kid. I am starting to freak out because the pregnancy is suddenly much more real, and I'm realizing that I only have a few months to get the nursery set up before I'll be HUGE.

The whole ultrasound process is such a strange thing. Sometimes I wonder how that image on the screen could possibly be coming from inside of me. It seems much more likely that I'm not pregnant and that the ultrasound tech is playing some CGI trick on me. The only thing that really convinces me that I'm pregnant is that I can feel the baby kicking now and then, which is perhaps even stranger than the ultrasound. There is something--someone--living inside of me.

The best part of the ultrasound for me was that the technician said the baby looked healthy. Ever other day I worry that there is something wrong with the baby, so to see that he has ten little finger and ten toes is very reassuring. The tech could even look at the blood flowing from through the umbilical cord to the baby. Amazing.

We have not picked a name, and we probably won't pick one until we meet the baby. The forerunners are Theodore (Ted), Mason, and Jackson, but we're open to suggestions. Any ideas?