Tuesday, March 4, 2008

On My Mind:

  • Abraham Lincoln was one of the country's least experienced presidents. Richard Nixon was one of the most experienced.
  • According to a show I just saw on the Discovery Health Channel, girls recognize stereotypical gender roles about six months earlier than boys. Why?
  • Is it better to take pillows in colored pillowcases or white ones to a child birthing class?
  • Is it easier to deliver a baby or to deliver a thesis? What about doing both at the same time?
  • Where are my internal organs? I mean, in relation to my uterus? When I think I'm poking my baby am I really poking my lungs? bladder? stomach? intestines?
  • Rush Limbaugh doesn't like McCain because he "sits down with Democrats." Obama got in trouble for saying somewhat nice things about Reagan. Alyson says Obama is a fascist and McCain is a "total and complete face-melting sleezeball." 
  • Am I retaining water?
  • Apparently it is snowing a lot in Ohio today. It's warm and sunny here.
  • Do gender roles serve any positive purpose in society? How do my actions teach my child what men do and what women do?
  • Matthew 11: 28-30
  • BabyCenter says my baby weighs five pounds. BabyGaGa says my baby weighs six pounds. What if my baby weights eight pounds?
Also, take my poll.




4 comments:

Caroline Tung Richmond said...

These are some interesting thoughts!

Franklin Pierce was elected president because he was liked by everyone. By the time he left office, he was despised and is still considered the worst president by historians.

Herbert Hoover was the Secretary of Commerce before he became president. One would think he could have helped the country recover from the Great Depression...

I think your question about gender roles is really interesting. Do they serve any positive purpose in society? I don't know. I tend to think gender roles are damaging because they have pigeonholed women in the past. The feminist in me believes that gender roles prevent people from seeking their passions. What if a woman wants to be a doctor but society tells her to stay home and have kids? What if a man wants to take care of his children but society tells him to go to work? I'm sure there are books out there that address this topic. We should read one together!

Oh, and I hate Rush Limbaugh. And I don't really know where my organs are either even though I'm not pregnant!

Shewi128 said...

"When Chuck Norris talks, everybody listens. And dies."

That's why I'd want him to endorse me.

editorgirl said...

Never had to deliver a baby, but the thesis is painful enough as it is. Good luck with both! (I'll be cheering for you from the point of the mountain.)

anna banana said...

I sure enjoy reading your blog....I just remembered you are an English babe, no wonder I got so sucked in. At any rate top notch writing, I will be back!