Monday, February 2, 2009

Allow Me to Introduce You...

Grocery Checker, Vegetables. Vegetables, Grocery Checker.

Gabe and I have been changing the way we eat over the past month or so. It's part of our little "biggest loser" challenge, but the idea is that it's really a more permanent change. As part of this change, we have been eating a lot more produce, which is fun. I am learning how to prepare all kinds of new foods. I am also learning how little people know about food. I mean, real food that comes from plants, not the packaged, prepared stuff. Almost every time I go to the grocery store lately, the checker holds up a vegetable and asks, "What's this?"

So, let's play. I have been asked about all of the foods below. How many can you name?



The answers are, in order: kale, serrano pepper, fennel, shallot, and leeks.

If you could name them all, good for you. If you have eaten them all, even better.

8 comments:

Tara said...

That is so true! Has happened to me a few times although I haven't been as daring as you with such variety. I got everything right but the leeks (I always just use green onions... I thought that's what they were.. heh heh). And you're gonna have to tell us what exactly you're making with fennel (scares me). Good for you guys eating more produce. I really want to be like you someday.

Shannon said...

Interesting. I only knew kale and fennel. I shy away from recipes that call for most of those ingredients partly because I don't know what some of them are, so gracias for the photos. Good for you guys eating healthy. Feel free to blog-share some of your new yummy healthy recipes. Hint hint. ;)

Unknown said...

i recognized all except fresh fennel... i've only ever used the herb.

good for you guys! so who's the biggest loser so far?

Kristen said...

I just used serrano peppers in an awesome guacamole recipes for Super Bowl day. Love them!

lisa said...

I knew everything but the kale! I've never used kale for anything. But I have used fresh fennel for a really delicious tuna recipe (compliments of our beloved naked chef). I'll have to post it sometime--once I actually start using my blog... :)

p.s. HAPPY belated GROUNDHOG's DAY!

p.p.s. my verification word is "in war"... creepy

Melanee said...

The shallot was kinda misleading. I thought it was a lot bigger than an actual shallot. Way to go with the veggie movement! You inspire me.

Shewi128 said...

Wow, I knew all of those! I'm such a food nerd. I, however, have not eaten all of those. I love filling up our cart with fresh produce, because it makes the checkers say, "wow this looks healthy". It also make me feel like I'm following my own advice.

Hillary said...

I don't think I've ever eaten any of those...I'll definitely have to give them a try! I'm glad I found your blog!