Thursday, August 20, 2009

My DIY Problem

I am a DIYer to the death. Many a beautiful item have remained unpurchased because: "I could totally make that." I still insist that I could. I just--usually--haven't.

Anyway. We are still working on that house thing, and I have had chandeliers and light fixtures on my mind. I love 'em. I think they can really make a room, and I want one that is special and unique and BIG for our little dining area. Of course, the one that I really want:


costs 3,000 dollars. Hmm. I am not sure I could make that one.

I ran across this project a month or so ago, and I think I might try to make it BIGGER. (Did I mention I want a BIG fixture?)


Pretty cool, right? They were made by covering plastic balls with hemp and glue. Instructions here. I really want to try it out. Maybe with a variation of some kind.

And then. Today. I found.

These:



Are those not the coolest? They are made out of HANGERS! You have to check them out on this guy's etsy shop. This is one of those ideas that I am totally jealous of. Why did I not think of this?

And this is when I start feeling guilty about my DIY impulse. Could I make this? I think maybe I could. Should I just cough up the three hundred bucks to support this genius person?

I probably should. Will I?

Not sure.

What do you think? Any good DIY chandelier/light ideas?

7 comments:

lisa said...

this is hilarious--I think that all the time. if you could find a way to recycle plastic grocery bags into a very cool, chic chandelier, let me know. i'd be very interested.

Shannon said...

I love the hanger chandelier idea! So very cool. I bet you could make it, but it just might be worth the money to have someone else do it for you. That's me. I'm lazy like that.

Tara said...

Lisa's comment cracked me up. yeah those are all awesome! I really think you could make one, you have a good eye for things. But yeah, I'm the same way, sometimes I wonder if it's worth it to diy. The ones w/ the hemp look relatively easy so I would totally do that one yourself if that's what you decide on.

Unknown said...

I REALLY like the hanger chandelier. The wooden ones are my favorites, probably because I am not a big plastics person and love the warmth of wood or natural materials. I would totally support the artist IF-- and that's a BIG if-- you can afford it. If not... well... you're capable. Give it a shot. I agree, the hemp balls look the easiest. My one caution if you decide to make it bigger: you might need to modify it so that it holds more than one lightbulb for a bigger shade, otherwise it will be a lot darker looking than the one pictured. unless you kind of like the idea of mood lighting, in which case, I don't think it will matter. :)
Good luck! I'm excited to see what you come up with!

Kristen said...

I can't tell you how many times I've been shopping (usually at Anthropologie) and said under my breath 'I bet I could make this.' Have I EVER made ANYTHING? No. But I bet I could. :)

I love the hemp ones. You really could do that.

Arlene said...

I love the hanger ones too. The Hemp one could be put on like a rubber punch ball, that you could let the air out of after it is dried and possibly even use over and over.

Christine said...

Hey! You're funny. I too think lighting fixtures are neat, but I'm not nearly as creative as you. I say go for the hemp, and I think you could make that one for much less $$! :)