Monday, January 25, 2010

The Baby Monitor Will Die

So this morning around five in the morning, I hear Theo crying on the baby monitor. This is unusual, and I laid there for a minute trying to come up with my plan of action. My first instinct was to just go get him and bring him into bed with me so I could sleep longer, but Gabe was getting ready for work, and I knew he wouldn't sleep with Gabe moving around. So. I decided the best plan was to go into his room and try to rock him back to sleep.

I walked into his room, and was surprised to see that he was still in his bed. Usually when he wakes up he plops himself down in front of the door and pounds on it or cries for me to let him out. I walked right over to him and started to pick him up, and then I realized: he's not crying. He was looking up at me with confused eyes, and it took me a minute to figure out what was going on. That baby crying on the monitor was not my baby. My monitor had picked up one of the neighbor's crying kids. Booo. Hissss.

Yes, I went into my son's room at five o'clock this morning and woke him up. And then, like the cowardly mother I am, I tucked him back in and ran out of his room. He cried for a second, but he went back to sleep. Thank goodness.

5 comments:

Kristen said...

Haha! That is really hilarious--although probably pretty freaky for Theo! I didn't know they could do that. Could you use them like walkie talkies with a neighbor? :)

Shannon said...

That is weird! I've never had that happen! I totally would have tucked them back in and ran for it. Hey, it's 5am. Glad he went back to sleep for you. Maybe it's time for a new monitor. :)

Anna B said...

boooo hissss is right! that's hilarious. good call on putting him back to bed!

Rob, Adrienne, Sam, Ada and Tony said...

That is what I would have done at 5 AM too! What a good boy Theo is.

Arlene said...

Once we had an intercom and Boyd and I were talking on it and we heard some other people talking. It was our backyard neighbors kids... To make this quick, the neighbor quickly boxed up their new intercom and returned it that day!