About a week and a half ago we bought 20 pounds of cherries, which is kind of a lot of cherries. I had lots of big plans for these cherries, some of which panned out, and some of which didn't quite make it. I was hoping to dry some, but I don't have a dehydrator and I didn't like the idea of leaving my oven on for 2 days. I'm way too hot for that. :) I have been told that you can dry fruit in your car here, which I totally believe, but I still felt a little weird about it. I wasn't sure what kind of screen to use for it either. Maybe I'll try it next summer. The plan that did work out was cherry jam. I have been looking forward to making my own jam because lately I only want to buy stuff with like four ingredients (you know, fruit, sugar, pectin....), which is the most expensive stuff. Now I am all stocked up, and I know exactly what went into it. Here are my results:
Personally, I think it's pretty tasty. Not a bad result for my first home canning experiment. Unfortunately, 12 jars of jam only used up about half of my cherries. Here's what was left AFTER the jam:
Luckily, they were pretty tasty fresh too. We also had some delicious cherry muffins. I've still got a couple pounds left in the fridge, so if anyone needs any cherries, let me know...
Next up, blueberry syrup? Canned peaches?

1 comment:
yum! I wish I had good ideas for you. Whenever I buy cherries, they always go bad before I can use them all. I'm a cherry failure :( Wait, lately I've been inviting people over, just so they will eat cherries with me. I guess that has worked.
Post a Comment