Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Enter June

So, here I am in early labor:


Sweet, naive girl. Smiling away. Snapping pictures. I realized I hadn't really taken any belly pictures, so I figured I better get one before the belly was gone. Of course, I'm still holding on to a goodly portion of the belly. So much fun. :)

Now, here I am about 18 hours later. Nice hair, right? Well the little bundle in my arms is pretty cute anyway.


June Charlotte Middleton was born at 1:42 a.m. on Sunday August 29. She weighed eight pounds even and was 20 and a half inches long. As some of you know, we decided to have our baby girl at home. It was a great experience.

I was in pre/early labor for most of the day Saturday. By the late afternoon we were feeling pretty sure that we would have a little girl with us by the next day. My mom came and picked Theo up around 7 or 8, and Gabe and I went for a walk. The weather was unseasonably cool, and it was really nice to get out for a bit. I was having contractions about every five or six minutes at this point. We would have to stop walking when I had a contraction, and Gabe would push on my back. I am sure we would have been quite a sight. By about 10:30, I was getting pretty serious. We called the midwife, and she and her assistant came over.

I really liked being able to move around and try different positions during labor. I found the bath to be really helpful and spent most of the last few hours in the tub, which is where June was born. The pushing stage came quickly and it was such a crazy experience. With Theo, I had an epidural and couldn't feel anything. Everyone says that your body knows when to push, and it is such a strong urge that it is difficult to control. I really didn't believe that, but oh man. It only took about seven contractions to get her out. Gabe caught her and cut the cord.

Giving birth without any drugs was not easy, but I am glad that I did it. It hurt a lot, but I liked that I could feel what was happening. I think that being at home gave me much more freedom to find comfort, and it was so nice to be able to recover at home.


June is doing really well. She pretty much wants to eat all the time. If she is not sleeping, she thinks she should be eating. We have an appointment today so we will see how she is doing weight-wise. She makes grumpy old man faces all the time that make us laugh.



Theo seems to be doing pretty good. We were pretty worried about him adjusting, but so far nothing too dramatic. For the first few days he pretty much ignored her, but he has grown more interested in the past couple days. Today is Gabe's first day back at work, so we will see how it goes. Too bad he doesn't get a month of paid paternity leave. :)

Love my kids. :)

12 comments:

Shannon said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful! It sounds like the home birth was a big success. I'm so glad. Hope you are feeling well and recovering quickly.
PS-June is on our short list of girl names too. We'll see if we end up with twinner girls. :)

Caroline Tung Richmond said...

Congrats, congrats, congrats, Lex! I am SO happy for you, Gabe, and Theo!

I'm also happy that you've had such a great experience giving birth at home. It must have been quite the change from Theo's delivery! I'll definitely have to pick your brains whenever Justin and I start trying to have kids.

Yay! And June is so cute and I love her name!

Tara said...

Congratulations, she is so cute! Loved reading about your experience... I was amazed when you said you were glad you could feel what was happening when you had her. I was totally traumatized by how bad it hurt! I never want to feel that again. :) But it did make for a fast delivery and that was nice. You had her almost exactly 3 weeks after me (ours came Sunday the 15th at 1:32 a.m.).
I'm glad you went with June, it is a great name and it totally fits your little family! Congrats again!

Katie said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful! I loved hearing the story. The picture of Gabe and June is precious :)

kimi + joe said...

Congrats on your new bundle of joy! She's a beauty with a beautiful name too.

Bitter Family said...

Congratulations! Way to go doing it natural. That's what we have planned, so I will for sure ask you for some questions and tips in the next couple months! I'm glad to know someone that did it! She is adorable!

lisa said...

Oh I love these stories! thanks for sharing--so happy to hear it went well at home! She really is so beautiful. Can you believe you have kidS now? With an s?? They are so lucky to have such awesome parents. Love you!

Anonymous said...

She is a doll and I love her name! Way to go for an all natural birth!! That is so amazing! Recovering at home sounds great! Nobody bothering you. Congratulations!

Rob, Adrienne, Sam, Ada and Tony said...

Congrats on the no drugs and waterbirth at home. That is very commendable. What a cuite! She has a beautiful name and face.

The Clark Family said...

Great to hear about your home birth experience! I had Jackson in a hospital but no drugs or anything. Originally I was going to a maternity center but we moved from the area to a small town where that wasn't available. Anyway, enough about that, I just love to hear about successful natural births! Congrats on your beautiful baby girl!

Shewi128 said...

Congrats on the baby and going all-natural! What made you decide to do a home birth? Did you watch "The Business of Being Born" like I did? :)

Kristen said...

You are amazing. I'm so glad you got to have the birth you wanted--it sounds like it was a wonderful experience. And now she's here! Woo hoo!