Thursday, October 7, 2010

And then...

So just a few hours after posting that last post, we had some drama in our house. I put Theo down for a nap, June was dozing in her bassinet, and I sat down on my bed to play around with my crochet hook and some yarn. A few minutes later, I stood up and felt a gush. Kind of like my water broke, except this time it was blood. By the time I walked from my bed to the bathroom, my clothes were soaked.

It was pretty scary. After a few minutes of constant bleeding like this, I decided I better call 911. Gabe was on his way, but it takes him about 30 minutes to drive home from work. The Fire Department got there first. Poor Theo woke up from his nap to a house full of big firemen, and was a bit intimidated. I had my first ambulance ride.

After getting to the hospital, my bleeding had slowed down quite a bit. They were getting ready to release me a couple hours later, when I started bleeding again, and this time it never stopped. After about 8 hours of losing blood, they finally decided that this was a real emergency. I went in for a D&C at about two in the morning. I got a blood transfusion too. There was some small bit of tissue left in my uterus that was causing the bleeding (perhaps some placenta, we're not sure).

The good news is that I am feeling quite a bit better now. Still a bit tired a week later, but I'm taking an iron supplement, which seems to help. My throat was pretty sore from the breathing tube, but that feels much better now as well.

This experience has changed the way that I think about a lot of things. I go back and forth between gratitude for the medical technology and care that saved my life and frustration at feeling ignored and disregarded by some of the people at the hospital. It is crazy to think that if I had lived 200 years earlier, I simply would have died. And there was absolutely nothing I could do about it.

I am so glad to still be here for my babies, and I have felt so loved and cared for in the past week. I am so grateful for wonderful family and for the world's best visiting teachers. Seriously, so blessed. :)

8 comments:

Katie said...

Oh Alexis! I'm so sorry! I'm sure that was incredibly scary! I am grateful that you had good supportive family and VTers too! What a blessing modern medicine is in such circumstances. We'll be praying for a full recovery.

Arlene said...

You had us all scared. But we are sure happy with the outcome. Sorry you had to endure this, but, in the Lord's Wisdom, you are still with us. And we are so grateful to him. Love You all, so much.

lisa said...

Oh wow--that's so scary. I'm so glad everything's ok, lex, but wow. You've definitely being watched over. love you.

Hillary said...

Oh my goodness! That is so scary! I'm glad you're doing well now. Let me know if there's ANYTHING I can do for you!

Rob, Adrienne, Sam, Ada and Tony said...

Eeek. So glad you called 911 and that you are ok now. What a day you had! Glad we live in 2010 too!

Shannon said...

That is so scary! I'm so glad you are ok and on the mend. I was wondering why you hadn't called me back last week. Well, now I know and you're more than forgiven. :) We didn't end up even stopping in Vegas at all either direction on our trip. It was pretty hectic. I sure hope you get your energy back soon so you can have fun with your munchkins!

Kristen said...

oh my gosh I had no idea! That must have been horrible! I'm so glad you're OK and on the mend. Love you!

Caroline Tung Richmond said...

Lex, ahhhh! So scary! I'm really glad that you're okay though and that you're feeling better.

Love you, babe! Get better!