Last weekend, my granddad passed away. He had recently been diagnosed with colon cancer, and although we knew things didn't look good, we weren't expecting him to go quite so quickly. My mom, sister, myself, and the kids were planning to go up and see him the day after he passed. We just missed him.
His funeral was held this last Friday. I have been thinking a lot about him and his life this last week, and although I am sad that I won't be able to see him for a while, I know that he lived a long, full life. He was 77 years old. He and my grandma celebrated their fifty-fifth wedding anniversary in August. He served in the Navy for over 30 years and provided service in the Ogden Cannery and Ogden Temple for 24 years. He was friendly, affectionate, and had a unique sense of humor.




Many, many people came to his viewing and funeral. It was nice to see how many people he had touched. At the burial, he received full military honors, which was touching and impressive.
We were planning on blessing June the Sunday following the funeral, so we decided to stay in Utah for another day and have my family participate in the blessing. It was a special day as we celebrated two lives, one long and full and one just beginning. I felt strongly the connection between us all--how our lives intersect and weave together.

6 comments:
So sorry about your granddad. It's neat to see life come full circle like that though. June looked beautiful for her blessing and how great that you got to be with lots of family.
oh I just loved your granddad! Such a sweet, fun-loving man. I imagine it must have been pretty inspiring to see so many people gather to celebrate his life and to honor his life's service. It's hard when something like this happens so suddenly, but I'm glad you all could be there together.
p.s. June looks so so sweet. You've got a beautiful family.
Beautiful post! It's always hard loosing ones we love but for me it also helps remind me what this life really is about. June is amazing! Her name, her cute cheeks and breathtaking dress!!
I'm sorry to hear about your granddad. I'm know you will miss him. My Papa also passed away from colon cancer. Not fun. June looks beautiful in her blessing dress. I loved the matching headband. Too cute!
Unique sense of humor is right! Your Granddad was awesome and I'm sorry to hear about his passing. How sweet for everyone to be able to participate in both the beginning and the end of a life that weekend.
Beautiful Tribute Lexi, Thanks. I'll show it to Grandma. Love You guys!!!
Post a Comment