Thursday, April 24, 2008

Theo Update


First off, I have to apologize for leaving you all hanging. Here's what's going on:

Theo came home last Wednesday. We took him back to the hospital on Monday, and he came home again yesterday. 

So. I am very happy to have him home (again), and I'm feeling pretty good because we think we might actually know what's going on with him and now if I see him twitching I won't freak out as much. Here he is on his first car ride that wasn't in an ambulance. 


Monday, my mom and I took Theo to get circumcised. They put the numbing cream on him and we had to go wait with him in the waiting room for about an hour while they got everything ready. While we were waiting, he started twitching. It lasted for about 2-3 minutes, and we couldn't get it to stop. He was asleep, and wouldn't wake up. We mentioned it to the doctor when we went in, and he said maybe we should get his phenobarbital levels checked when they were done and if the twitches kept going we might need to take him to the hospital. They did the circumcision while we were in the waiting room and he SCREAMED. He did NOT like it. We left the doctor's office and he was really upset. When he got in his car seat he fell asleep, and we went to the lab to get his phenobarb levels checked. When we were in the waiting room at the lab, he started twitching really badly. We could not get him to stop, and we decided we better take him to the ER. He kept twitching on and off for about two hours. I had never seen him going that badly. The ER doctor saw the twitching but said he didn't think it looked like seizures, which was kind of annoying because my son had just been hospitalized for 10 days for seizure activity and then he was twitching uncontrollably and this doctor was acting like he didn't know why we were there. Boo. 

Anyway, long story shorter, we saw a neurologist and she believed he was having something called benign sleep myoclonus, which basically means he twitches when he is asleep. She thinks he twitched an extra lot on Monday just because he was so upset about the circumcision. Since we had him home for a few days, we were able to see that he really only seemed to twitch when he was asleep. I am pretty sure that I have never seen him do it when he is awake. They did another spinal tap, another EEG, and some more blood cultures, and everything looked good still. So, the good news is I feel much more confident that my son is healthy. The bad news is that we spent another 49 hours in the hospital. This time I got to (had to) stay with him, which was nice because I didn't have to leave but bad because I had to sleep on a lumpy bed and couldn't shower. The first night Gabe stayed with me and we both slept in our clothes on a twin-sized bed. Ha. 
This picture is pretty cute. He opens his eyes a lot more now. They are a dark blue/gray color for now. We'll see what they turn into. I'm guessing they will be brown like Daddy's. 

Haha. Look at that chubby face. Ok. This kid eats. On Friday he had a doctor's appointment and he weighed 8 lbs. 15 oz. On Monday when they weighed him, he was 9 lbs. 2 oz. The nurse said he had a good weekend. 

5 comments:

Kristen said...

Oh my gosh! He's just adorable and I'm so glad he's finally home. Love you!

Anna B said...

i'm so happy to get this update!! he is the cutest cutest baby!! i love these pictures!!!

Shewi128 said...

Awwwww he is so cute!! Glad to hear he's doing better.

Sarah said...

YAY! I'm so glad. This morning when I saw this I was relieved because my insanity of checking the blog millions of times a day could end and I could go back to my normal life. :) Did you hear my message? I'll call you again later when you're not super busy (that will probably be in like 15 years after all of your kids are grown), but I'll call you before then.

Rob, Adrienne, Sam, Ada and Tony said...

Wow...those are some cute pictues! Your son is adorable. I'm glad the doctors are figuring everything out finally. I'm glad he's eating and is gaining weight though. Hang in there.