Monday, March 22, 2010

Don't Know Beans


I am in charge of putting together a class on using dry beans in a few weeks. Does anyone have any good recipes or tips?

Apparently, you can use beans as a replacement for butter in baked goods. We're going to try that one later this week. I'll keep you posted.



5 comments:

Hillary said...

Get this book: I Can't Believe It's Food Storage by Crystal Godfrey. It has lots of great tips and recipes using food storage (including dried beans!).

Shannon said...

I don't have a clue, but if you learn anything useful post it please! :)

Anonymous said...

I like to save my ham bones. Either use them right away or freeze them. There is a super yummy recipe for split pea soup in the better homes and garden cook book. Or an easy one is with just white beans the bone and an onion.

Katie said...

Maybe this is obvious, but I'll cook up some bags of beans, and put 2 cups in each freezer bag. One bag equals one can of beans in recipes for the next few weeks.

Zandra said...

Here's a recipe for fudge using pinto beans instead of butter. It sounds weird, but the results are actually quite tasty:

2/3 C canned evaporated milk or light cream
1 2/3 C sugar
1 1/2 C mini marshmallows
1/2 C chopped nuts (if desired)
1/2 C cooked, drained, and mashed pinto beans
1 1/2 C chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla

Combine sugar and milk in a pot and boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add remaining ingredients and stir until marshmallows dissolve. Pour mixture into buttered square pan. Cool and cut into squares.

Good luck!