Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Another Reason I Love Google

Ok.

So, yesterday I was thinking about veganism. Alyson is attempted to start eating vegan (she is already a vegetarian), and I was thinking about how hard it would be because of how much I would miss dairy. I think I could give up meat, but cheese? Ice cream? Anyway, so I was thinking about the whole idea. Vegans don't believe in using animal products, but as a nursing mother, I immediately thought of Theo's diet which is all dairy, all "animal product." So. I understand the idea of not using a cow's milk because it wasn't meant for humans and you can't ask the cow and all that, BUT. Could vegans eat dairy products made from breast milk? Could you make breast milk cheese?


Apparently you can. This cheese is made in France by Le Petit Singly with "lait maternel de femme." Mother's milk. Apparently the cheese tastes a bit like hazelnut. And I do like hazelnuts. 

So. What do you think? Is breast milk cheese vegan?

9 comments:

Kristen said...

Hmm. Good question. A better question might be, why is it wrong for us to get milk from cows when it's so natural for them to produce it? I completely understand the moral arguments against eating meat, but I've never understood the arguments for being vegan. And I could NEVER give up my ice cream!

Caroline Tung Richmond said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Caroline Tung Richmond said...

Wow, someone actually makes and sells breast milk cheese?! Yum?

I don't think I could ever give up meat or dairy. I love my steak and eggs and cereal with milk too much! But I do think that we as Americans need to do a better job at treating animals humanely. I just watched a documentary that showed baby calves torn from their mothers because the farmers want to sell the milk to people. The calf gets the shaft and has to live in a tiny pen until it is old enough to become veal. So sad.

Anyway, I'm not sure if breast milk is considered vegan by vegans... I suppose it's still an animal product, right? (And, it sounds kind of icky.) I will ask my friend Jami who is a vegan...

Anna B said...

if there were only breast milk cheese, i think i could become vegan :)

Sarah said...

Ummm......
"Wow"
"Sick"
"Crazy"
"New"
"Interesting"
"Neat"
"Weird"
"Out of this world"
umm
"Women are amazing"
"Creative"
"High five for breasts"
"Hooray for mammary ducts"

Alyson Turley said...

By virtue of it being an animal product, I think I'd have to say that human cheese (that sounds really gross) is definitely not Vegan. However, I think that people who are vegan for ethical reasons would probably be comfortable eating it, although I doubt many of them could get past the whole coming from boobs thing. I myself would probably leave it out of my upcoming vegan diet since it kind of creeps me out.

Alyson Turley said...

I just read that site and apparently the cheese goes well with a nice red wine, in salads, or spread on toast. Delicious.

Shannon said...

I have no idea, but breast milk cheese just sounds super creepy and gross. I don't think I could eat it.

Andrea said...

EEEWWWW!