Thursday, August 7, 2008

And The Crazy Goes To...


Let's get this out of the way right now: I watch too much TV. Period. 

Now, can we talk a minute about Project Runway? Ok. This season's contestants might be sewing their little fingers off, but the real competition is for crazy. Half the contestants are campaigning hard to be the next Santino and/or "fierce hot tranny mess" Siriano. Let's look at the competitors, shall we?

I think we'll start off with Suede because he named himself after a fabric. 
Suede keeps himself at the head of the craziness pack by speaking of himself in the third person, which sounds especially stupid when you've  named your self after a fabric ("Suede is a genius," "Suede is freaking out," "Suede is ruined in the rain"). Suede also posts pictures like this of himself on the PR website:

The only downside to this photo is that you can't see Suede's blue fauxhawk. 


Next up, Blayne. With a "Y." Blayne's main strategy in his campaign for crazy is the catchphrase. His ol' faithful is "Licious," which can stand alone or be added to pretty much any word. He's also trying to push "Holla atcha boy" onto Tim Gunn, which admittedly is a bit funny, but 
not as good as "Make it work." Blayne also complains a lot about not being able to go tanning, and I fully expect to hear "tanorexic" at least three more times this season. Blayne supplements these tactics with an occasional ridiculously weird design:

This little number that Michael Kors lovingly called a "shredded diaper" was titled "Girl-licious" by Blayne. You can't tell in the photo but Blayne actually wrote "Girl-licious" on his model's leg. Nice touch, Blayne. Also, Blayne clearly likes to take pictures of himself:


Finally, I'll give an honorable mention to Stella, a tough biker chick designer who's materialsso far have consisted of leather and trash bags. Last night's challenge was to make an outfit for the female athletes for the Olympic opening ceremony, and she made a pair of tight black leather pants and a black leather vest. Her justification was, "There are a lot of bikers in America who watch the Olympics." Good point.


Any other nominations? I'm looking forward to a lot more crazy this season.



6 comments:

Caroline Tung Richmond said...

I know! I have no idea why they picked Stella for the show. (Or Blayne. Yuck.)

Stella may be a good designer for Harley Davidson lovers, but what about customers wanting mainstream fashion? The cocktail dress she designed for her model looked like something from the Icecapades! And somehow the judges liked it!

(Or maybe I'm just out of touch with current fashion trends? I dunno.)

Becky said...

I love Project Runway! I'm sorry to say that I have not been watching....and the only channel we get is kjzz and the hispanic one in logan. The U has cable so maybe I can catch the end.

~AliSa~ said...

LOL...I love leeaatha! I am rock n roll. Seriously this season of Project Runway has definitely brought out a bunch of weirdies! Holla at cha girl!

Anna B said...

project runway will always be tied in my mind to pop culture conference. that was great times. i need to start watching!

editorgirl said...

You know what's even better than Project Runway? Project Runway Australia. Actually, it's not, but it is a good filler when you've watched every PR episode there is and you're lonely. Project Catwalk (UK) is also entertaining, but irritating in the way that only British programming can be.

I so wanted Stella off last night. But Sarah loves Suede. Suede is hil-arious. Oh, and Blayne makes me throw up a little. (We need to talk.)

Rob, Adrienne, Sam, Ada and Tony said...

I agree 100%. The Suede/Leather whatever is all a little crazy. What was with the strappy dress suede designed. I totally hated it. Well I'm trying to catch up on the season, but I totally love Heidi and love how the model I would choose totally doesn't get chosen. I'll be watching the crazies this season girl!