
So far I think McCain's Veep pick is cheesy and gimmicky. I'm sure Palin is a very nice woman, and she might even be a capable public officer. I don't have anything against Palin; however, I think McCain's choice is irritating and slightly insulting. It seems to me that the only reason McCain would pick a running mate no one has heard of that he has only met ONCE (according to cnn.com) is that he believes such a choice will draw female voters.
Assuming that jaded Hillary supporters will become McCain supporters simply because he has a coed ticket is ridiculous. Those who supported (and continue to support) Hillary did so because they believe her to be intelligent, capable, and experienced, not because of her sex.
This is what I have found out about Palin. She is a mother of five. She is a hunter and a lifelong member of the NRA. She is a former beauty queen. She is pro-life. She has been governor of Alaska for less than two years before which she served on the city council and as mayor of Wasilla (pop. 6,715). She also has supported oil drilling in Alaska. Oh yeah, and her son is leaving for Iraq on September 11 (I'm SURE we'll hear more about that one). While it's not a bad resume, I'm not sure it demonstrates a surplus of "experience," which has been McCain's main argument against Obama.
I understand why McCain picked Palin. I just hope that women who vote for McCain do so because they believe in his policies and not because they think Palin is the new Hillary. (She isn't.)

6 comments:
thank you! i totally agree--it feels like mccain picked palin because she's a she. it is insulting. and we're not that stupid.
I completely agree. Before I knew anything about her, I thought, okay, probably a good move. (Well, as you know, my initial reaction was "cheesy".) But seriously. What does she bring to the ticket other than she is a woman. If I were Hillary, I would be insulted.
jhh mnb7bv nax xxxxxxxxxxxxx x
That was your son... he kept grabbing the keyboard when I was typing my comment so I thought I would let him leave his own comment.
Mostly he just drooled and smacked on the keys.
ok, so i hoped that i was just being overly sensitive and that choosing palin wasn't about gender. and then huckabee says this: she was a reminder to women "that if they are not welcome on the Democrat's ticket, they have a place with Republicans."
seriously.
Bill said, and this is a direct quote, "She's hot."
I was really surprised and annoyed with his choice. She seems really great and I would definitely vote for her as a senator or something in my state, but from governor of ALASKA? to vice president of the United States? I don't know about that leap. Also, I do feel that he passed over more practical and smart-for-the-country choices. As far as her being the next Hillary? Ew. I was not a fan of Hillary to being with (slimy Clintons). Anyway, I'm really unsure of what to do with my vote this year. I'm leaning towards Ron Paul. :)
Post a Comment