Thursday, August 21, 2008


Today I paid bills. 

This requires sifting through the shoe box full of medical bills that leaves me feeling overwhelmed and helpless. I transferred more money out of our dwindling savings account to cover basic expenses, and moved on to the modest pile of dirty dishes I'd been meaning to get to. 

We're almost out of dish soap (something else that costs money), so I had to shake the bottle to get a few drops out. I squeezed the bottle, and a cloud of tiny bubbles floated onto my dirty skillet. And I smiled.

I realized that if it weren't for my dirty dishes and my empty soap bottle, I might have missed the simple joy of those bubbles. I suspect this might have some larger applications, what do you think?

6 comments:

Kristen said...

I just love those moments! That's what it's all about!

And I'm so glad you liked "The History of Love." Leo really is such a great character and I will always remember the scene at the end on the park bench.

Arlene said...

Congratulations on discovering bubbles! Don't worry about not having any money. Lawerence Welk made millions on bubbles.
Boyd - not Aunt Arlene

Shannon said...

You know, having no money can become really overwhelming if you let it. I really try not to stress (even when there is $5 in the checking account) because I ALWAYS pay our tithing first and in the last 5 years of our marriage that I have been paying bills, something always comes up that makes it work out. I have BIG time faith in the law (and blessings) of tithing. Besides, no matter how much or little money you have, it's still the simple joys of life that are the most important anyway. Moments with your family, moments with bubbles and moments with the Spirit. Love you!

Kristine said...

Haven't checked out your blog for awhile! Love it! I am so happy to see photos of your darling Theo! Thanks!

Sarah said...

Rich people would never have noticed those beautiful, perfect, round little bubbles that, admit it, brought a little smile to your face. Paris does not know what she's missing.

That's what life's all about... the bubbles. The bubbles between the dirty diapers. The bubbles between the marital disagreements. The bubbles between anxiety attacks due to no moola. The bubbles between the family of origin traumas. The bubbles between the hard times and the good times. Let's thank heaven,... for little bubbles.

Anna B said...

going to pick up history of love! hooray.