Monday, November 10, 2008

Thoughts on the Election, Party Politics, and Racism


especially if it's this one:

which I actually saw in Utah. Which leads me to today's topic: Insanity.

Do people really truly think that Sarah Palin would make an excellent president? Sure, she might be cute and I think she would do a lot of things really well, but run the country? Are you insane?



I don't know if it's true, but I mean, if Fox News is reporting it... Come on folks. By the way, thanks so much for waiting until after the election to share this happy news.

So. How about some more insanity? Well. For starters, when I was in Utah last week for Lisa's bridal shower (which was so much fun and it was so good to see old friends), I learned that I had lost my soul. I learned this from a hand-painted sign in the back of a pickup truck. It read: "A vote for Obama will cost you your soul, your job, and your freedom." So far I still have a job. I think I still have my freedom. I'm not completely sure how you gauge the loss of a soul, but I haven't yet felt soulless. I guess Obama is still just President-Elect though, maybe it comes on later.


Insanity part three. On November 5th, one of Gabe's employees delivered a part to one of the shops around town. While he was there, a man approached him and asked him what he thought about Obama winning the election. Eddie, Gabe's employee, is a black guy, and replied that he was excited about the win. The man responded by telling Eddie that he didn't "think one of your kind should be running this country." Yep. That happened.

So, while I am very happy to have been a part of the historic election of the first biracial president, I am afraid that racism is still an ugly part of this country. Check out the button that was sold at the RNC this year:

Wow.


5 comments:

Shannon said...

How totally bizarre. I just can't even begin to get into it with the whole political ring. Too many crazies, too many lies/liars, and too many close-minded people. I have high hopes for President Obama, but deep in my heart I don't think much will change. Is that cynical of me?

PS-I highly doubt that Sarah Palin was/is unaware that Africa is a continent. She probably just got confused with the country of South Africa. I feel bad for her that they even said that.

stewart.shana.ella said...

I guess if everyone agreed on everything the world wouldn't go round. So we can all embrace our differences.

I do think that bumper sticker is stupid.

I worry about Obama and his family. Our world is still very racist, even though I don't understand why. I don't agree with him on much however.

Tara said...

I can't believe how crazy some people get. The girl who was doing my hair started out telling me that Obama gave her a bad feeling. By the end of my visit, he was a full out terrorist. Come on, people.

Poor Palin. I know a lot of people in VA didn't vote for McCain b/c of her and I'm sure elsewhere, too. I did vote for McCain, but I'm looking forward to giving Obama his shot and seeing what he can do for our country.

Caroline Tung Richmond said...

"The niggers and Hispanics are taking over our country."

- My grandfather-in-law

As far as our country has come, many Americans still have racist views. Or at least stereotypes. I do have hope for our nation though. Obama's victory demonstrates how the younger generation of Americans tend to be more color-blind than our parents and grandparents.

Sarah Palin. Ugh. I think she makes an effective governor of Alaska and I recognize her oratorial skills as well as her down-home charm. But I don't agree with her politics. And I didn't like how her rhetoric on the campaign stump continually pinned the "real America" against the other pseudo (?) America.

Still...she is a force to be reckoned with. If she wants to make a bid for the presidency in 2012, she will have to find a way to appeal to more independent voters. She fires up the Republican base, but if she wants to take the White House, she needs to find a way to sway undecideds to her cause.

Kristen said...

Yikes. I think this election was primed to bring out the ugly in people, on both sides. And as much as I don't agree with her, I watched Palin on the Today Show this morning and felt for her and her family, being dragged through the mud and left with little to show for it. I think it's time as a country we all just moved on. Good thing Christmas is coming to focus on something else! :)