Last week we headed down to California for Jake's graduation from Marine boot camp and a big Disneyland celebration. It was really nice to go on a little vacation, and I was very sad it was over.
MCRD (the Marine Corps Recruit Depot) is in San Diego, right next to Shelter Island and Sea World. I guess if you have to get beat up by mean drill instructors you might as well be in beautiful San Di-ah-go. Ahh, breathe it in. (We might have quoted Anchorman more than was really necessary while we were there). Anyway, it really was gorgeous. It might have even been a bit on the hot side. Seriously, when is it going to get cold?
We saw Jake run around in short shorts with the other Marines, we watched an inspirational video about what our Marines had been through, there was a lot of yelling and cheering (which really freaked Theo out), but we were all mostly excited about seeing Jake and hearing about his experience. He was surprisingly not-weird and very, very thin. (He will be home for the next month by the way, working with recruiters here in Vegas until he starts more training).
The actual graduation ceremony lasted about an hour and a half and all 590 of the Marines that graduated with Jake had to stand at "parade rest" (I think that's the right term) for most of that time. We were sitting way at the end of the bleachers and so we couldn't really hear what was going on, but we kept ourselves entertained by watching dozens of Marines pass out from trying to stand still in the sun for so long. Some of them just flat fell on their faces. Others swayed back and forth a bit before falling over. The crazy thing is that none of the other Marines around the guy who just fell flat on his face are allowed to move or do anything. They just quietly say "Drill Instructor" over and over until a DI comes to rescue the poor guy who just passed out. It was all rather exciting. You will be pleased to hear that Jake did not pass out. I know you are impressed.
Jake was ready to get off the base pretty much as soon as the ceremony was over, so after a quick In-N-Out stop we headed of to the DL, which is my new favorite way of referring to Disneyland.
This was my first time visiting the DL during the holidays, and it was really fun to see all the lights, and the castle all wintered up, and all that jazz. Unfortunately, we didn't get to see it snow on Main Street because the second night we were all just way too tired to go back after our off-park dinner. I am still pretty bummed about that, but it just gives me an excuse to go back next winter (Gabe will grimace when/if he reads this).
Theo was such a good boy throughout the whole trip. He really didn't complain the whole time even though he was getting dragged all over the place. He was very very well behaved, but really was only interested in one thing at the DL: water.
Anyway, the kid likes water. Even if he didn't get too excited about the DL, his mom sure did. I like the DL a great bit more than I know I should. When we were driving out of the park, I was already planning our next trip (which I think should be for my birthday since you can apparently go for free on your birthday next year). Gabe did not enjoy me planning our return as we were leaving, but I am pretty sure he enjoyed himself.
In conclusion, allow me to present a few parting DL pics.
P.S. Did you notice my sweet new hairdo? Aly says it is tinkerbell-esque, but I promise I'm not that crazy about the DL.

8 comments:
Yay for Disneyland! I love all the pictures. It really is such a fun place. When we left in October I was already planning our next trip (March? for my birthday?), so you're not crazy. Anyway, looks like good times. I love you new hair. So adorable. Also, congrats to your brother. That's pretty cool. I think it's hilarious that so many Marines fainted in the middle of their graduation and yet I'm glad it wasn't your bro. :)
cute hair! your style still gouges me in the eyes. jake and aubrey (did i spell her name right?) both look so old! when did that happen? looks like the DL loves you right back. glad you had fun!
Love love the hair! And if you can convince Gabe to take you back to the DL you could for sure stay at my parents house (only 20 min. south!)
Woa, how old is Aubree now? That is freaky. Not quite as freaky as me being 25 though. Yes, I'm having an early midlife crisis. Not really, 25 is just old though and your little sister used to be like ..... a little girl.
Looks like fun. I like the new do, as always you are very stylish and hip, particularly with your hair.
UNTAGA!
(my word verification word)
Love your haircut. Looks like you all had a lot of fun. I can't believe how thin Jake is.
I wanted to go back to Disneyland the day after we left:) Love it there! Jake looks awesome, and really skinny.
Yes you should come to Oregon!! We'd love, love to have you and you can stay with us!! Think about it...
great pics! and great hair--i want a closer look. and i love that theo loves water. he is just way too cute.
Post a Comment