Monday, July 14, 2008

I Think I Actually Like Carrots

Do you like my fancy food photo?

I made these muffins today. I thought they were pretty tasty, and super healthy (for muffins anyway). 

Carrot Cranberry Muffins
  • 1 cup Craisins (the recipe I used actually called for raisins, but I like Craisins and that's what I had)
  • 2 cups warm water
  • 2 cups flour (I used all-purpose, but I think it would be good and even healthier with whole wheat)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 4 eggs
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 3 cups shredded carrots
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffin tins or use paper liners. Soak the craisins (or raisins) in warm water for 15 minutes. Drain and discard water.

Stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. 

In a separate bowl, combine eggs, applesauce, oil, and brown sugar. Beat well.

Combine dry and wet ingredients until just moistened. Fold in craisins and carrots. Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean. Makes about 18 muffins. 


Anyway. Only 1/4 cup oil. Three cups of carrots. Not too bad, right? If you make 'em, tell me what you think.

P.S. I realize liking carrot muffins doesn't exactly equal liking carrots, but it was fun to grate something besides cheese for once. 



4 comments:

Arlene said...

Boyd will love this recipe, I'll have to print it up for him. Who knows, it could end up at a Macey's Class.

Sarah said...

That's okay, you can say you like carrots because of the carrot muffins. These sound like pretty good muffins. I think I might try them out some time, but without the carrots. I know that's the whole point of this blog, but I just get kind of weirded out by zuchini and carrots in sweet breads. I'd probably still like it with carrots though. I just do not know who invented these recipes. It must be like a hmmm I'm trying to think of some kind of food that some people like but really doesn't go together (like hmmm ketchup and bread or something.. I cannot come up with any good ones for the life of me!!!), well, someone like a ketchup and bread kind of person who just likes things that do not go together and has imposed his or her ideas on the rest of us. They just need to stop.

Come to think of it, that's kind of funny I thought of ketchup and bread bc I just remembered one time my sis was babysitting me when I was like 3 or something and I begged her to make me a sandwich with bread, ketchup, and sugar. So maybe I am one of the annoying carrot and zuchini people that's trying ruin good old sugar, butter, bananas, flour, vanilla etc. which are natural additions to sweet breads. I'm trying not to be a ketchup and bread kind of person.

This is a weird comment. Sorry to IMPOSE it on your blog. but i'm going to submit it now. i'm too tired to care. you've seen me do much weirder thing i'm sure.

Melanee said...

Alexis! I've been wondering what happened to you and Gabe and then I kind of randomly surfed into your blog today. (Hope that's not creepy or anything.) Anyway, it's so good to see that you guys are doing well. Little Theo is adorable! I'm so glad he's o.k.

Take care,
Melanee Parker

P.S. Check out our blog: georgeandmel.blogspot.com

P.S.S. I'm one for the balanced egg carton, myself.

Alexis said...

Sarah,

I think that maybe you need to have a blog so we can enjoy your musings on a more regular basis.

Also bread, ketchup, and sugar is pretty gross.

Also, I miss you.