Thursday, July 31, 2008

I'm Out of Tissues Again


I have gone through more boxes of tissues and spent more time in hospitals and doctors offices in the past three years than I did in the first twenty-two years of my life. Even excluding my pregnancy, delivery, and Theo's issues (or non-issues), it seems a bit excessive. Prior to the malady-stricken last three years, I honestly don't remember the last time I went to the doctor (perhaps that's why I've needed so many visits since?). Amazingly, the beginning of all of my medical difficulties (which are really mild--I'm not complaining; I'm considering) seems to coincide with the beginning of my MA program. About six weeks into my first semester I caught mono. A few months later I took another trip to the student health center after a bloody run-in with a car door. The second year of my MA program, my throat decided it didn't like swallowing food anymore. After two ER visits and a couple endoscopic procedures, I was diagnosed with some kind of esophagus issue, which basically means I have to be an extra careful chewer. Twice during this period I had a negative reaction to one of the prescription meds I was on. In between these larger issues, I have gone through about fifteen colds/bouts with the flu.

I realize this isn't horrible health by any stretch of the imagination. BUT. In comparison to what I remember of my pre-grad school days, it's a bit much. So I've often wondered if my various ailments have some kind of psychosomatic origin. Could stress make my esophagus tight and inflexible?

So, as I'm (hopefully) getting over one more cold with graduation just a couple weeks away, I hope I can stay out of the doctor's office for a while.

.

Parenting doesn't cause stress, right?

3 comments:

Tara said...

Lex, I know how you feel sort of... except it's not me, it's my kids. They are constantly sick, although luckily not anything serious like their throat not swallowing (that sucks!). But who knows, they say stress causes everything, so you may be right!

Anna B said...

seriously, i've consumed exponentially more advil in the three years since i began the MA than i had the 24 years previous.

Shannon said...

No fun. I'm sorry. I hear you though. Even if it isn't a monumental problem compared to like leprosy or something, it really is just no fun to not be 100%. I hope you feel better soon! Enjoy graduation! Let me know if you are here for it. :)