Saturday, July 12, 2008

My Holiday Road Trip: A Five-Paragraph Essay


Since the beginning of time, families have been going on road trips. Whether you are loading up a camel, an ark, or a SUV, a trip with the family is sure to offer up manifold opportunities for diversion. On my recent Independence Day road trip, I learned that fun often arrives in unexpected packages. I discovered the unpredictable nature of fun on this trip through three specific things: a game of twenty questions, a piece of plastic, and a small sink.

The first unanticipated opportunity for fun was an unpremeditated game of twenty questions when we were driving up to Utah. We were all trying to guess Aubree's animal, but we could not figure it out "if our lives depended on it." N0w, Aubree would not want me to tell this story, but it was so funny and so unforeseen. We kept asking questions, but we couldn't make head or tail of it. We had figured out that it was as big as an SUV, that it was an imaginary animal (although some had claimed to have seen it), and that it was "NOT" in Harry Potter. What would you have guessed? As much as we "racked our brains," we could not crack it. Finally, Aubree told us the answer. It was a "platypus!" Although platypi are exotic and peculiar, they are not imaginary. We laughed about it for the rest of the trip, which just shows how you can often find humor and joy in the most unheralded places.

The second startling source of fun on our family holiday came in the form of an extraordinarily long piece of plastic. My father's side of the family has a family reunion every other year where the family gets together and there is always a family barbeque and family games and a family water fight. This year at the Turley family reunion there was a new, unannounced "water attraction." One of my many aunts and uncles brought a really, really long piece of plastic that we put water on and slid down:Although I did not in actuality go down the giant waterslide myself, it was still a fortuitous source of fun to watch my family slide. Especially my dad, who was the oldest though not the most graceful slider of them all:
At the Turley family reunion we found fun in the most aleatory of things: a giant piece of plastic.

Finally, the third and last accidental source of fun--or, at least, "cuteness"--on our fun family road trip was a little sink. On Sunday, I decided to give Theo a bath. I had brought all of the essentials such as: soap and washcloths, but I didn't bring his bathtub where I normally give him his baths. However, I knew you could give babies baths in sinks "in a pinch," so I set up the sink in my grandma's downstairs bathroom. Once I "had all my ducks in a row," I put Theo in his improvisatorial sink, and I realized it was a bit like bathing George Foreman in a bucket!!! The sink was small, but fortuitously provided another unpremeditated laugh and a very "cute" photo:
In conclusion, on my family trip we found fun in multudinous unforeseen things such as: a game, some plastic, and a sink. As Plato said, "You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

The End.


P.S. I think I actually miss grading student essays.

5 comments:

Shannon said...

What an exceptional example of the 5 paragraph essay! You took me straight back to the eighth grade. :) Glad you had a fun trip. That ultra slip n slide looks awesome. I miss you! Next time you come up, call me! Also, Theo is seriously such a doll. So handsome.

Alyson Turley said...

Thanks for only using fortuitous three times.

Arlene said...

I just showed the pictures and read him about "20 Questions", when I finished we were both laughing so hard I could hardly speak, I had tears, he had a stitch in his side. Thanks for sharing. Fun memories are great. Loved seeing all of you when you were here.

Arlene said...

I showed the pictures to Boyd. Sorry, had to type this twice, it wouldn't recognize me and I had to re-register.

Kristen said...

Well, Gabe wins. He is a mini-Gabe. So adorable I can't stand not being there to kiss his big cheeks...