Thursday, May 1, 2008

Nascencies


I'm having a moment. Now that Theo is home from the hospital it is starting to sink in that I have a son--that I'm a mom. It hit me when I was watching the news and the anchor woman attempted to threaten viewers into not changing the channel during the commercial break: "A story that parents should not miss." I am suddenly a new demographic. 

Today is my 25th birthday. When I was 19 and living off-campus for the first time up in Provo, my roommates and I found ourselves hanging out with significantly older guys for the first time. Some of our new friends were 23 and 24, but I decided that you weren't REALLY old until you were 25. So. In the next two weeks I will experience my first real Mother's Day and my second wedding anniversary. In some ways, I guess I really am old--I've taken on some seriously mature responsibilities in any case--but I also have felt younger lately than I have for years. 

For the past 25 years I have known myself as a daughter, a sister, a Mormon, a friend, a student, a scholar, a teacher, a reader, a writer, a wife, and now I'm adding a big new title: Mom. The question is how much should/will/must this new part of my identity change the me I already know?

6 comments:

stewart.shana.ella said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LEX!!! It is so crazy how your life changes once you become a mom. You are in charge of this little person and you start to look at everything so differently. When you have a date night it is then you realize how much you really have changed.... but it is the best ever. Hope all is well with your new family.

Anna B said...

happy happy birthday! all i know is that you'll be the best and coolest and smartest and funnest and hottest mom in the world!

Mindy Blake said...

happy birthday! I have been having issues with my blog and i cant access some pages so i hadn't seen him yet! he is sooooooo dang cute! how is everything going being a new mom? i am sure you are getting LOTS of advice but if you ever need anymore or have questions feel free to ask! I feel like a pro now! lol congrats again

Andrea said...

Lex, you will soon be able to turn any sentence into a song for your little one and won't go anywhere w/o somekind of picture taking device.

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday last week! I wonder what we did for your birthday that year (19). Probably ate our weight in tortillas and chips at Jacintos.

I feel the same way about turning 25. September...DUH DUH DUH!

This is fun to talk to you on your blog. YAY FUN!

Shannon said...

I love reading your musings. You are such a great writer. I'm slightly embarrassed that you may read my own musings. :) I totally know the feeling. Being a mom changes everything, but not essentially who you are (at least not after the first few months). Good luck with the adjustment, it's pretty huge!